Best High Chair For Small Spaces
As we all know, there are now various options for parents in all these different products for our babies and toddlers. However, all these options can easily overwhelm us if we are not careful.
With that being said, if you are a parent who is currently in the market for a high chair for small spaces, you are in the right place.
In this buyer’s guide, we will discuss our findings after we’ve tested various high chair products available in the market today: their key features, their advantages and disadvantages, and key considerations of which high chairs might be the right choice for you.
Top 7 Best High Chair For Small SpacesView on Amazon
- Painted steel with tubular structure
- Removable cover included hand washable at 86-degrees F
- Can be used with most types of tables with universal twist-tight couplings
- A fold-flat closing system can easily open and close the high chair with each use
- 4.2 lbs product weight, can hold up to 37 lbs of max weight
- 14” w x 17” h x 11” d open dimensions, 14” w x 17” h x 4” d closed dimensions
- Matching carry bag included, can be hidden under the seat inside velcro
- Spacious rear pocket
- The tray features deep borders surrounding the eating surface to help keep the baby’s food on the tray. Also, the dining tray includes a cup holder
- Compact and lightweight with 4.2 lbs and 37 lbs
- Compact size when folded, and can easily fold and open with an ergonomics closing system
- Sturdy and reliable
- High backrest to accommodate toddlers and babies
- Easily attach to most indoor and outdoor surfaces
- Padded seat, comfortable for the child
- Handy rear pocket to store utensils and snacks
- Optional tray attachment
- Cannot use glass tables
- Removable and washable fabric, but easily stains especially with spilled liquids
- The included carry bag is relatively low quality
One of the key highlights of the Inglesina Fast Table Chair is its compactness and lightweight, and due to its easy flat-folding system, the Inglesina is especially a great choice if you are going to travel with your baby or toddler, so you can bring the high chair along throughout your travel with convenience.
Even with its lightweight, however, the Inglesina Fast Table Chair is quite sturdy and durable. You can use any kinds of tables with various weights—as long as it’s not glass—-so it’s quite versatile (for example, you can use two different tables for traveling and daily use. So, you shouldn’t have to worry about your child’s safety with this high chair. Also, the Inglesina features a padded seat to ensure the child’s comfort for prolonged use.
There are also some extra features like the rear storage, which is big enough to store utensils, drinking bottles, and snacks, among others, as well as an optional tray attachment if you want to install an extra tray.
Dollar Rating $$
View on Amazon
- Five different “stages” or functions:
- High chair
- Low chair
- Portable booster chair
- Floor entertainer
- Table and chair set
- Five-point harness for extra safety
- Strap storage
- Removable and washable pads for easy cleaning
- Removable tray and top
- Anti-slide bottom pads
- Rear hook tray and handle
- Quick-release legs for easier reconstruction
- Storage shelf and Mesh Storage Basket
- Versatile, so many different uses for the 5-in-1 high chair. You can purchase and use an additional toddler chair so your child can use it for the years to come—versatile long-term investment—
- Five-point harness, very secure for babies, and you can also use the chair for toddlers
- Comfortable and thick padding can provide soft cushion without overheating the baby/toddler
- Storage compartment for the safety straps, and another storage area in the center of the table when you use it for a high chair (after the booster seat stage)
- Removable cushion and tray, easy cleaning and maintenance
- Relatively bulky with the heavy bottom when you use it as a high chair, not suitable for traveling
- It is sometimes difficult to re-install the removable tray, so can be impractical
- The straps are relatively difficult to remove and clean, but you can easily clean the high chair and wash the seat cover in a washing machine
The Zoe 5-in-1’s key highlight, as the name suggests, is its 5-in-1 functionality (or “stages”), where the Zoe 5-in-1 can be used as a high chair, low chair, portable booster chair (placed above a traditional seat, for example in a restaurant’s chair), floor entertainer, and table & chair set.
With that being said, the Zoe 5-in-1 offers a really complete package to assist its versatility: the chair’s height is easily adjustable, there’s a functional and spacious storage basket, dedicated storage for the safety straps, and a removable and adjustable tray.
Due to its 5-in-1 functionality, the Zoe 5-in-1 also offers a long-term value since you can use it even after your toddler has grown up. This is paired with the sturdiness and durability of the high chair, so you most likely don’t need to replace the chair after your child has used it for several years.
Last but not least, the Zoe 5-in-1 offers thick and comfortable padding that won’t easily trap your child’s body heat (so it won’t overheat the child). The padded seat is easily removable and machine washable, so you can easily clean the chair and ensure its hygiene for your toddler.
Dollar Rating $$
View on Amazon
- Straps easily & securely to most kitchen, dining and restaurant chairs
- Two height adjustments, three recline positions
- “Grows” with baby from reclining seat for newborns, to upright high chair seat for infants, to height-adjustable “big-kid” booster seat for toddlers
- Removable dishwasher-safe tray with FastFinder™ link
- Machine washable pad offered in a cute, gender-neutral pattern
- Removable seat back and tray (for toddler booster seat use)
- Compact size stores easily when not in use; easy to take on the go
- Product Weight: 7.8 lbs
- Product Dimensions: 22.5 x 14.3 x 10.6 (in inches)
- Versatile with three different modes: newborn cradle, infant booster with tray and toddler booster. Three height adjustment settings and three recline positions
- Can hold children up to 50 pounds in weight, so you can use it until after your child is older— great long-term value—
- Five-point harness, adequate security for babies
- Easy-to-adjust, easy to clean tray (can directly wash in a dishwasher), also features a built-in cup holder
- Removable, machine-washable seat cover
- Need a screwdriver for assembly, so not suitable for traveling
- There are existing gaps between the seat cover and the seat itself, so food and drinks can fall down
Fisher-Price is among the most well-known brands for baby products and toys, and the Fisher-Price Space-Saver High Chair is a great choice for parents looking for a compact high chair, just as the name “space-saver” suggests.
However, with its 22.5”h x 14.3”w x 10.6” dimensions, it’s not as compact as the Inglesina High Chair discussed further above (17” h x 14” w x 11” d ), where the Fisher-Price Space-Saver is slightly higher and wider. It’s still a pretty compact high chair and also quite lightweight with just 7.8 pounds in weight. We should also consider the fact that the Fisher-Price Space-Saver is more affordable than the Inglesina.
With its compactness, the Fisher-Price Space-Saver also offers three different height settings and three recline settings, so it’s versatile. Also, the high chair can hold up to 50 pounds, and combined with its three different “modes”, your child can use the high chair even after they’ve reached toddler age, making this chair a great long-term investment.
Even with its compact and minimalist design, we shouldn’t worry about the comfort of our child with this Fisher-Price high chair with its inclusion of a soft and pliable cushion. This is combined with how the high chair includes a five-point harness for extra safety for your baby.
Dollar Rating $View on Amazon
View on Amazon
- Product Dimensions: 36 x 17 x 4 inches
- Item Weight: 17 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 22.3 pounds
- Meets all standards with ASTM F404-14 & HR.4040.
- Free from BPA, Phthalate, PVC, Nitrosamine, Latex, and Formaldehyde.
- Removable, dishwasher-safe food tray
- Easy-clean cushion
- Patented EZ-Seat adjustment mechanism
- Pressure-treated wooden frame
- Age: 6 months +
- Max weight: 250 pounds
- High-chair and main tray materials: beech wood
- Cover tray material: BPA free recyclable polycarbonate plastic
- Seat cushion material: Patented foam
- Can easily change into different modes in just less than 20 seconds
- Adjustable 3-point and 5-point safety harnesses
- Sturdy and will not easily tip over, grips on the base
- Removable and dishwasher-safe tray cover
- Water-resistant and easy to clean
- Seat cushion and backrest cushion included for added comfort
- Many color options
- Can hold up to 250 pounds, very durable materials
- Cannot be folded, so quite hard to move around (no wheels)
- Relatively heavy at 17 pounds
- Quite difficult to adjust the harness and to assemble
- Relatively expensive
The Abiie Beyond Wooden High Chair, as the name suggests, is made with wood material, so it’s a great choice for parents looking for longevity and elegant design. Made with eco-friendly European beech wood and combined with a soft and thick cushion for your child’s comfort. Actually, during our tests, the Abiee Beyond Wooden High Chair ranks the highest among the others in this list regarding the child’s comfort.
Despite its aesthetics factor, the Beyond Wooden High Chair is also water-resistant (despite its wood material), so it’s easy enough to clean and maintain.
Also, this chair offers a rather unique adjustment system that might be a hit or miss: on the one hand, it is very stable and won’t easily tip over, but on the other hand, it can be rather hard to assemble and adjust the chair and the harness. Also, it’s not very compact, relatively heavy at 17 pounds, and doesn’t feature wheels so it can be quite hard to move the Abiie Beyond Wooden High Chair around.
A great choice if you are looking for a high chair with great sturdiness and design, but it’s relatively expensive compared to others on this list.
Dollar Rating $$$
View on Amazon
- Machine washable for easy cleaning and maintenance
- Includes a carrying pouch for easy transportation
- Available in 8 Attractive design
- Accommodates babies who can sit up on their own, up to 35 pounds total weight
- 8 ounces of weight with 8 x 1.5 x 6 (in inches) dimensions, very light and portable
- Designed to help your child feel independent
- Very compact and lightweight, easy to transport this high chair around, specially designed for travel
- Folds down to a very compact size (like a diaper-size), easy to pack and transport around during travel
- Very easy to assemble and disassemble
- Features a 5-point harness to secure babies
- Machine washable for easy cleaning and maintain hygiene
- Includes a carrying pouch
- Your child sits directly on the chair, so it can easily get dirty. You might need to cover it before sitting your child for feeding
- Does not “boost” the child height so shorter babies might not be able to see over it
- Very affordable
As the name, My Little Seat Travel Chair suggests, this chair is especially intended for use during travel, so its compactness, ultra-lightweight (only 8 ounces in weight), and foldable design (to a really small size) are the high chair’s main selling point. It comes in 8 different attractive designs, so there are plenty of choices for parents that might be interested in buying this travel chair.
Due to its portability and minimalist design, however, there are several limitations from this high chair. For instance, it can only hold up to 35 pounds weight, so a bigger and heavier child might not be able to use it. Second, it’s reliant on the dining chair that is placed below it. Since the My Little Seat Travel Chair doesn’t really “boost” the child’s height, it might not be usable for shorter children and smaller babies.
However, this high chair does offer a five-point safety harness so it’s pretty secure for babies, and it is machine-washable for easy cleaning.
Dollar Rating $$$
View on Amazon
- Open dimensions: 29” L x 21.75” W x 41.25” H
- Folded dimensions: 21” L x 21.75” W x 36.5” H
- High chair weight: 26 pounds
- Dishwasher safe tray insert
- Standing fold for compact storage
- Available in 3 colors
- Easy to clean leatherette seat
- No-scratch wheels and rubber stoppers for stability
- Adjustable footrest
- Fits any table height with 8 different levels
- One-handed tray removal
- For kids up to 50 lbs
- Safe for newborns and smaller infants
- 5 different reclining positions
- Offers 8 different height adjustable levels, useful for babies and toddlers of various heights
- Easily removable tray (with one hand), and dishwater-safe
- Adjustable with up to 5 different reclining positions
- Two footrest alternatives
- Easy to clean surfaces
- Scratchproof wheels, easy to move around and the stoppers offer decent stability during use
- It can be folded and made compact for easy transportation and storage
- A useful storage pouch on the back of the Joovy Foodoo high chair, useful to store bibs, snacks, and other items
- Takes up a lot of space, might not be suitable for smaller spaces
- The tray sometimes don’t adjust perfectly during reclined positions
- The center strap is too long and can’t be adjusted
- Can be tough to clean between the leatherette’s stitching
JOOVY Foodoo offers a great versatility where parents can easily adjust this high chair to cater to various children’s needs according to age and other factors. Very convenient so your child can be comfortable with this chair during every mealtime. Also, the Foodoo high chair offers a luxurious design and its relatively big in size compared to others in this list (so, it might not be a great choice for parents with smaller space in their house).
With its big size, however, the chair can hold up to 50 pounds in weight, so parents wouldn’t need to worry if their toddler is relatively heavy—-making this chair a great long-term investment despite its relatively expensive price
Dollar Rating $$$
View on Amazon
- 2 Recline Position
- 3 Color choices
- 11.18 lbs weight, 22.2 x 21.2 x 24 inches product dimensions
- All pieces are wipeable so easy to cleanup
- Full-size high chair replacement can easily secure to virtually any chair
- Removable tray, can convert to booster seat easily and quickly
- 5-point safety harness
- Can work with nearly all kinds of dining chairs
- Dishwasher-safe and all parts are machine-washable for easy cleaning
- Lightweight, and relatively portable
- Long-term investment since the child can use it all the way to toddler years
- Relatively affordable
- May wear out if cleaned in the dishwasher/washing machine all the time
The Ingenuity SmartClean ChairMate High Chair is a very versatile high chair that can be used anywhere and anytime. Relatively lightweight at 11 pounds, although it’s not the most portable (22.2 x 21.2 x 24 inches).
A unique feature from this high-chair its smart clean design. Nearly all parts of this high-chair can be removed and are machine-washable, so we can rather easily clean all of these parts more effectively. We can also easily reassemble these parts after they are washed properly.
A minor downside is that the parts can wear out if cleaned in the dishwasher or washing machine too many times.
Dollar Rating $$
What Is The Best Space Saver High Chair?
Based on our reviews, there are two main contenders for this category: the Inglesina Fast Table Chair, and Fisher-Price Space-Saver High Chair. The Inglesina Fast Table Chair is a great pick for maximum compactness and ultra-portability.
However, although the Fisher-Price Space-Saver is a little bigger and slightly heavier, it is arguably a more complete high-chair that offers all the features of a full-sized high chair but want to accommodate for the small space. It can hold up to 50 pounds of the child’s weight (so it can be a long-term investment) and both the very comfortable padding and tray are machine washable.
What is the best high chair to buy?
If quality is your main consideration, the Abiee Beyond Wooden High Chair With Tray is arguably the best choice. It is relatively expensive, but with its durability and lasting design, it can be a great long-term investment.
It offers various excellent features like the extremely safe dual-restraint system and a five-point harness that can secure your child really well (also three-point harness for bigger toddlers). You also get a three-years manufacturer’s warranty.
However, the Abiee Beyond Wooden High Chair is not a great choice if you are looking for compactness and portability, as it is mostly rigid.
At what age do babies use high chairs?
In general, babies are ready to use high chairs when they can sit upright properly. This generally happens between four to six months of age and usually closer to six months. You can tell when your baby can sit completely upright when the head and neck are already very stable without needing the help of pillows.
What to look for in a high chair?
There are four main factors to consider when choosing between different high chairs:
- Does it feature a tray, is it removable, can you use it and remove it with one hand?
- Does it offer wheels for easy transportation?
- Can it be folded for a more compact size
- Can it “grow” with the child? Most high chairs come with transition options where it can morph between a booster seat to a high chair to a toddler booster, among other forms
- Safety: safety seat straps/harness are your main considerations here, and you might also want to check for JPMA certifications
- Comfort: how comfortable the child will be on the high chair
- Hygiene: how easy would it be to clean the chair and all the parts, check whether the chair is machine washable and whether the parts are removable
The top 7 best high chairs for small spaces we have shared above are our top picks that can suit parent looking for a high chair that won’t eat up too much space in the house, and also parents who are looking for a travel high chair.
Our overall number one pick here goes to the Abiee Beyond Wooden High Chair With Tray, while the Fisher-Price Space-Saver is our recommendation if you are looking for compactness and portability. However, all models presented are great high chairs with their own advantages and disadvantages.
We hope you’ve gathered enough information from this buying guide, and can make a better purchase decision with what we’ve shared.